Tuesday 3 June 2008

Stop Wishing, Start Changing

The power to change the course of our lives resides within the realms of our decisions, our actions or inaction, our prayers, believe; all wrapped up in faith and hope in God who is our enabler.


The dictionary explains wish / wishing as thus:
"A desire, an expression of longing, or strong inclination for a specific thing"

It is safe to say that to wish is not a doing action, as in physically doing something, it's more of conjuring up the notion within our minds; of what we want to be now, or in the future.

To simply wish for something is not a guarantee that we will actually get it, that is without actually doing something to CHANGE that same wish into a reality and ultimately, into a testimony. 3 John 1:2 (Kings James version) reads "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth"

This was written by John to Gaius, and he was expressing his wish and desire that Gaius prospers in the physical and in the spiritual (on another note, this is why we cannot neglect the upkeep of the physical bodies, whilst we concentrate solely on the spiritual; they both go hand in hand. The vessel is the vehicle that enables the spiritual being to act out the will of God – more on that to come).

But then, when we go on to read verse 3 of the same chapter, it reads "For I rejoice greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth"

Now we see that the wishes have come to pass, because Gaius had actually done some things to bring John's and possibly Gaius's wishes to pass. He walked in the truth of his desire to prosper in the physical and the spiritual. Walking is a physical activity; he walked in the truth of what he believed in, which became his testimony, as John noted.

So, what is the truth that he walked in I hear you ask? Well, when we wish for God to do something in our lives, we wish with the believe, hope and faith that he will do it. But then it goes a bit deeper than that, believing alone is not sufficient, we have to ACT on our very belief.

And how do we act on our believes? Mathew 23 – 31 provides some clarification it reads "22 Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. 23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there. 24 But the boat was now in the middle of the sea, tossed by the waves, for the wind was contrary. 25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.” 28 And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” 29 So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!” 31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.

I'm sure most of us are familiar with the story in this passage; it's about how Peter walked on water. In verse 28, Peter saw that Jesus was walking on water and he wanted to be with Jesus on the water. So at this point, it is safe to say that Peter was wishing and expressing his desire to be with Jesus on the water.

In verse 29, Jesus said to Peter "COME",. Now watch this, Peter did something; he got out of the boat and proceeded to walk on water. At this point it is safe to say that Peter engaged in the action word of 'doing' which started the process of changing his wish to be with Jesus on the water into a reality.

But wait, Peter did not just walk on water (Now this will blow your mind as it did mine the first time I was thought this revelation!), NO, Peter did not just walk on water, Peter walked ON THE WORD "COME" , He walked on the word that pertained to his wish, his desire to be with Jesus on the water. He spread the word 'come' over the waters and walked on it!!! Now imagine that. !!!

This means that, for us to CHANGE our wishes into reality, we have to get the word of God that relates to that very wish and then WALK on it, bringing forth its manifestation. I don't know about you, but that gives me goose pimples to say the least!

So I ask you, what is that wish or desire that burns within your heart, keeping you awake in the middle of the night? Do you know, understand and believe in the truth of what God says about it? If you do, then simply pick up that word of God, spread it over that wish and then WALK on it, bringing forth its reality.

But wait... changing our wishes by spreading and walking on the word of God, has another dimension to it. Huh, I hear you say? Yup, and this dimension is called FOCUS.

Looking at verse 30 and 31 of the chapter above, Peter came out of the boat and walked on the word 'Come' and then walked towards Jesus, but then, he saw the winds was boisterous, and then he became afraid and started to sink. Verse 30 reads "But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”

Now, that tells me that, whilst walking on the word to change my wishes and desires to reality, I need to constantly keep my FOCUS on Jesus, on God. It further teaches me that winds of life will come and it will try to distract me, trying its best to get me caught up in it's flow, in its rhythm; but in the midst of it all, I should stand strong and firm by keeping my focus on God, this will further empower the birth and manifestation of Change. Wonderful!

Verse 31 of the same chapter confirms this. Jesus said, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" This reveals to me that even though my immediate reality has not changed, my wishes to see God's reality in my life, will come forth if I keep my focus on him, casting away all doubts, regardless the force of the storms I might be going through. I know, it's hard, its difficult, its down right painful, but keep focus we have and must do, to empower change of wishes and desires.

With that, its safe to say that; faith, hope and focus, is a powerful combination to bring froth change. After all it reads in Psalm 138:2 that God has magnified his word above his name!!!
"I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name For Your loving kindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name." Isn't that just awesome.
So today, I encourage us all to rise up in prayer, to seek the truth of God's word for that very wish and desire. Get that word, spread it over and simply WALK and keeping walking in it, keeping our focus on God, hence bringing forth CHANGE. Changing our wishes and desires into manifestation and ultimately testimonies, bringing glory to God's name.

Have a wonderful day spreading the word of God over everything that concerns you, walking on it, with renewed faith, renewed focus and renewed strength and understanding, all for God's glory; not forgetting to make him famous along the way.

Much love
Remi Banjo

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

wat can i say
but Pastor RB in the Making!!
E ku ishe
Nicki

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Amen. I'm walking in the word of the Lord, by his grace.

Rinsola said...

This blessed me, and in reading this chapter from verse 25, i realized that Peter was scared when he saw Jesus walking on water, after Jesus said "It is I", He wasn't too sure, he doubted and asked Jesus to make him believe by saying COME, then he believed. But the moment he took his face off Jesus, he saw the wind and became scared again. I hear God say "Believe in the TOTALITY of my word". When i say COME, I don't mean just get up and come, I mean COME walk with ME. When the wind rises against you, because i have said COME, you can face that wind.
Walking on the water seem so impossible to me, but 'cos He said COME to Peter and he believed, it beacame possible to Peter. I guess in our lives, the moment we take our face off Jesus, we are then faced with the "wind". Thanks for sharing, i was blessed.

Jennifer A. said...

Wow, the way you broke this down really amazed me. I was trying to grasp the concept very well and when I got to the part where you talked about how Peter "desired" to go out on the water to meet Jesus, but he had to take the step and "WALK on his wish" before the task was accomplished, I got the concept immediately! Wow, God pls open my eyes to see all the desires that I need to "WALK" towards...and strengthen me to know that He that is in me is greater than he that is in the world...

I'm so blessed by this post u won't even believe in....lolllllll...

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@Nicki...lol well whichever way the Holy spirit wants to use this gift,I am readilly available.

@solomonsdydelle: praise God! Keep walking,keep focusing.

@ rinsola: you are so right you said "Walking on the water seem so impossible to me, but 'cos He said COME to Peter and he believed, it beacame possible to Peter." yes when God releases his word, everything becomes absolutely possible. I thank God that you were blessed.

@Jaycee: I'm glad you were blessed. Amen. Yes Lord please open our eyes and understanding so that we know when to Walk on your words.

Holy Spirit, I thank you for the impartation, the unfolding of your word, the wisdom and the delivery. Even whilst on the threadmill, puffing and panting away (lol), listening to your messages, you still felt the need to increase my knowlege! wonderful! To God the be the glory :-)))

Anonymous said...

Lord, I spread your word (spirit&life) on the sole of my feet (physical)to walk on troubled waters (action) around me.
I shall not drown but remain buoyant on the word in stormy waters by His grace in Jesus name. Amen