"Thou shalt also decree a thing, and it shall be established unto thee: and the light shall shine upon thy ways" (NKJ version)
- Firstly, make a decision. We have to decide to desire our lives to be in line with God's will and want his kingdom to come. To decide is to make a choice.
- Secondly, we have to Decree on what we have decided. The dictionary explains decree as thus “to command, ordain, or decide by decree.” And as “one of the eternal purposes of God, by which events are foreordained.”
- Thirdly, when we decide, and decree, God establishes it. To establish means to “bring into being on a firm or stable basis. It means to bring about order” Do you want order in some areas of your life? Then decide, say something - decree it and God will gladly establish it!
- Finally, after God has established it, he blesses us with the manifestation and we walk in it's reality. The NKJ above says - "and the light shall shine upon thy ways." To walk in favour means “ to bestow a privilege upon” This means on establishment of what he has decreed, he goes one further and gives us the privilege to walk in it's reality. Isn't that awesome?
"Our Christian faith is a spoken faith". All throughout the bible, we read the emphasis of this spoken faith. From Genesis to revelation, we read “God said”, “the Lord said” or “Jesus Said”. Starting from the beginning, God spoke creation into existence. He spoke the heavens, the earth and all in-between into manifestation. Genesis 1:3 reads “God said (that phrase again) “let there be light” and there was light. What do you want to manifest or come into existence in your life?
Also in Romans 10:9, we see the basis of our spoken faith, it reads "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
The emphasis is SPEAK. We have to say something, which in turn gives God something to work with, giving him something to establish and therefore something to favour us with. God cannot establish something until we decree it, and we need to keep decreeing it until God establishes it. I envisage some of us saying "God come on, please do something" and God is saying "Come on my child, say something"
As God can establish that which we declare, so can the devil. So if we speak prophetic words and promises according to God's will, then it will be established. On the other hand, if we speak negative and idle words into our lives, the devil is just as happy to grab hold of it and establish it, making us walk in it's reality. Makes one think huh?
“Our words create our worlds" The question I have for us today is thus “what words are you speaking into your life or into that of someone else (your friends, family, husband, children and the like).
Some truths about words:
- Words are powerful: We read in James 3: 3 – 6 (message bible translation reads)
"It only takes a spark, remember, to set off a forest fire. A careless or wrongly placed word out of your mouth can do that. By our speech we can ruin the world, turn harmony to chaos, throw mud on a reputation, send the whole world up in smoke and go up in smoke with it, smoke right from the pit of hell" Yikes... dosen’t that just send shivers down your spine?!
- Words are Piercing: The dictionary defines piercing as “to penetrate into or run through (something), as a sharp, pointed dagger, object, or instrument does.”
The words we speak borrows deep into the lives of those it's directed at, like the roots of a palm tree, which burrows itself way down into the centre of the earth, making the tree almost indestructible.
- Words are perpetual: The dictionary describes perpetual as “continuing or enduring forever; everlasting” and “Flowering throughout the growing season.” Imagine that, for ever and everlasting!! Words travel from our past to present and to the future and it keeps on going.
Just for a minute, picture the scene. A mother tells her son to complete a task, unfortunately he gets is slightly wrong (after all he is only human). The mother gets upset and in anger she makes this statement “you are so useless, you will never amount to anything, just like your father"! . Now imagine this to be a repetitive occurence, various times of the week, month or year.
Now imagine those words creating a spark, a fire, burning the flames of worthlessness and inability within the boy. Imagine the words springing forth roots, burrowing deep into his soul, attacking his identity, distorting the view and notion of who he is or who he can become; the doubt encouraging him to embrace the lie that maybe, just maybe, he is as useless as his mother keeps telling him. Now, this boy armed with this distorted view of himself, goes through life, childhood and adulthood; whilst in college, whilst establishing a career or even in marriage!
What damage a simple, careless statement can cause... and to imagine that this can go on forever and ever! Thank God for his mercies and grace and for deliverance!
Just like a small rudder stirs and controls a big ship, our words control and stirs our life. The choice is our s to make; speak life and give God something to work with, or speak death and give the devil something to run wild with.
Blessed and highly favoured
Distributor of God’s blessings
Elevated child of God
Justified in Christ Jesus
Made in God’s image
New season planted
Qualified for God’s kingdom
Redeemed from the curse of the law
Saved in Jesus Christ
Have a wonderful day declaring God’s will for your life; he will establish it and grant you the privilege of walking in it's favour.