Monday 7 July 2008

In God's Image

In the gym this evening, panting and puffing away on the StairMaster, at the same time grinning and feeling quite cool and pleased with myself; I looked up from the machine's computerised screen and saw a girl walk past, towards the treadmills. She was small, looked fresh and elegant in her gym wear, even the way she walked was elegant and poised.


I took in a deep breath, looked at myself in the mirror opposite the machine I was on, and for a few minutes, asked myself the following questions: why can't I look that good in gym wear? Why can't I look that elegant whilst I walk around the gym floor? Why do I have to stomp around and trip on everything in site! Why can't I look like that, with all the curves in the right places? Why can't I be like her.

This went on for a few minutes and thankfully the holy spirit woke me up to myself! What am I doing? What am I wishing for? And then I thought, oh no you don't...















MADE IN HIS IMAGE
Genesis 1:27 reads "... So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it..."
Now after remembering that I thought, "what business do I have wishing and hoping to be like another human being?" I should not aspire to be like anyone, I should aspire to revel in God's image that I have been created. Yup I want to be fit and healthy, but then I should aspire to simply be a better improved version of Me and not someone else!

So yes, much to my dear mother's annoyance; I stomp around like an elephant, even though I am only 5ft tall! I am so Afrocentric in my dressing, it's not even funny! My friends see outfits and say, "Remi that's so you!" I would choose the chunky shoes and wedges over 10inch shoes - I figured I love comfort, and more especially my toes. I don't want bunions! :-) . I would happily walk around with no make up on, but lip gloss - to my friends' amazement! Yet, still with all these quarks, traits and all, I have been made in God's image. I guess it's all about embracing and being at peace with my God given complexity!
We must remember that God has made us the way we are for a reason.
  • We can aspire and work on improving ourselves on the inside, building and shaping our minds, spirits and souls
  • We can also aspire to work on the outside: keeping ourselves fit, health, and clean and pleasing to the eye.
We cannot change who God has made us to be, we cannot be someone else, both on the inside and on the outside. When we try, the result will be a constant battle with the true self and that will most definitely lead to a life of misery and unattainable expectations.

So, today, I encourage us to embrace our God given image, be it elegant, stumpy or simply carefree. Remember that we have been made in God's image; beautiful, with love and for a purpose; not forgetting to make him famous along the way, as we aspire to be who he has made us to be.
Much Love
Remi Banjo
***Pictures by photobucket***

12 Comments:

Jennifer A. said...

Firstttt!!!

"...elegant, stumpy or simply carefree..."

Oh, this post is sooo beautiful and on-point! But you know what too? Sometimes we don't notice the unique beautiful things about ourselves, rather we may focus on those unique things on other people...sometimes it takes others to point out the unique things they see in you. Our best qualities were created specially for us to shine as His image...

The differences in all of us combine to produce the perfect diverse image of God. If we were all the same, God would be boring.

ooooohhhh...thanks for ur comment Remi. I'm still getting used to the change in status...lol.

Ayomipo Matthew Edinger said...

thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Yes much to my amazement, you do wear the chunky wedges! Why oh Why??? Just joking!

Here's to me loving my short and stumpy legs. I'm walking the 10k race though - no need to make the legs stumpier.

Straight from the heart said...

it is easy to want to look like some one else, forgetting that someone wants to look like us, if we all look like each other, who's going to be us? just like you people are surprise at how comfortable I am with my afro look, well that's mee, I am secured in whatever look I choose regardless of how people think. So thanks for this beautiful piece

Rinsola said...

Hmn.....funny how i got to this page today. I remember my father talking to me abut wishing to be like someone else. "Whenever you wish to be like someone else, TAKE THE FULL PACKAGE of that person, including their failures and pain. You cannot wish to be part of them if you really wish to be like them" Thanks for sharing, and have a great week ahead.

Remi, United Kingdom said...

To Jaycee... Yup imagine how God will look when we see him! Awesomeeee!!!!! and you are right it takes others to point out the unique things within ourselves. Hope you doing good girl.. come down from cloud 9 yet :-))) so happy for u xxx

To disgodkidd - you are more than welcome love. God is your strength.. hang on the the knowledge of him and u will be fine, that's what I try to do on my off days..

To Bee - I'm still so laughing u are going to walk the "race" race means run! lol... yup I love chunky shoes.. well 1 I gotta pay for height!! 2) I love my toes... dearly xxx

To debbie - you are so right girl. It's like looking at someone's reflection and oggling it, and someone else look at ours with their mouth open! lol... I love your afro do meeen.. thing is my hair is never long enough nowadays to do them anymore! thanks luv... hope you are good..xxx


To Rinsola - your comment made me smile. It reminds me of what my mum used to say too. If you want to look like that person, think about it well, well oh, cus you never know they might be sick in the body or in the head! kai.. that made me abandon that thought pronto! Thanks luv.. have a great week ahead too..
xxx

Anonymous said...

Sis,
You probably do look that good but are being hard on yourself. Anyway she might be there to pose but you are there to get results. There is no short cut to where yo want to go.
Have a blessed day. Love Rele

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, me likey...

you are fearfully and wonderfully made ok? Don't let no skinny thing at the gym make you think otherwise - she probably thinks the same about you too ;-)
Jae

Anonymous said...

ur right...sometimes, unconciously, we someone enjoying good things are ask....oh why don't i have that kind of life or that kind of family or those kind of friends. This post was great....I really do appreciate everything in my life more, myself, my birth, my nature, my nappy hair....everything....oh and thanks for stopping by...

kay-shawn said...

Hiya, there’s an interesting debate on my blog. Your contribution will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Zoe Believer said...

Love the pic...Lovely post. It's taken me years and I'm still in the process of being comfortable with the whole of me...yes there are things to work on but I was created FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY amen. I don't need a self image boost but a GOD-image boost. Halleluyah

Anonymous said...

God said in psalm:139v14 about hw he made u so u only need to keep fit and let the lord work out the rest for u. Dayo