Tuesday 31 March 2009

FIRST QUARTER REVIEW...


It takes wisdom to build a house,
and understanding to set it on a firm foundation;
It takes knowledge to furnish its rooms
with fine furniture and beautiful draperies.



In a few hours, we will step into the month of April, the first quarter of the year. I can still clearly remember the merging of 31 December 08 into 01 January 09.

I also remember putting together a detailed year plan during the first week of January. A plan that contained all my dreams, goals and aspirations; all lined up according to my understanding of God's will for me this year. I spent the first month, meditating, obtaining and putting together tools and processes that, I prayed would hopefully encourage me stick to this same plan.

And how have I done so for I can almost hear you ask?. Well, upon a close and painful review of my actual progress against my baseline plan, the answer is "not as bad as I initially feared"! Praise God!!. I recognise that putting together a plan at the beginning of the year, backed up with all sorts of visual and technology reminders - which I wrote about in AS YOU MEAN TO GO ALONG , has helped my progression immensely, compared to previous years.

I also recognise the importance of fellow dreamers and planners; who realise the ramifications of planning to progress the dreams God has deposited within us. They were there to encourage or clip me around the ear, along the way. They were and are my accountability buddies and bring to life the meaning of Proverbs 15:22 which reads "Where there is no counsel, purposes are frustrated, but with many counselors they are accomplished."

However, despite my progress, I still came up short. There were huge chunks of results missing, tasks left undone, or half-done. There were quite a few things I hoped to have accomplished by now, but for some reason or another (which most likely included, laziness, procrastination and not consulting the plan or utilizing all the tools I set up, and I expect, so much more), have not been able to do so.
At this point, is the year progressing according to plan for you, or is it free falling, as it did in previous years?

To make sure we are on the right course and pathway to finish this year well, it is prudent to carry out a REVIEW of the plans we are working with. This is to review: our starting point, progress, destination, resources, success and indeed failures, that we have encountered so far.

The dictionary defines a review as thus:
To look back upon; view retrospectively.
To write or give a critical report on (a new work or performance)
To look over, study, or examine again.

I believe that reviewing (physically and spiritually) our plans and pathway through this journey called life is an important aspect of keeping within God's will. The process should be a continuous one at certain points along our way.

A review will help us to:
  • Understand our plan is definitely in line with God's will for us
  • Understand if our initial plan was over-ambitious (un-achievable)
  • Find out what mistakes we have made so far
  • Re-asses ways and means to avoid these mistakes (and many more) going forward.
  • Further understand the resources and support we might require to help us achieve our goals and dreams
  • Seek God's wisdom to further understand our purpose this year.
  • Revise the plans to reflect all the lessons we have learnt so far, improve it with renewed wisdom and understanding from God, in readiness for absolute success, as we make our way through the year.

As we move into the first quarter of the year, I would like to encourage us all to review our journey so far. Is our life going according to plan or have we made a detour and gone along with the plans of "free falling" and "going with the flow" of life.

The benefits of a review are numerous. It provide insights such as:
  • Visualising how far forward God has brought us from the month of January. To the natural eye, it might seem we have not progressed much. However, when we take a closer look, we might realise that we have covered a bit more ground than initially thought.
  • How we are maturing, continuously in the spirit; how we are being reformed to be like master Jesus.
  • Having the opportunity to congratulate ourselves (we rarely do this, rather we beat ourselves up for not doing as much as we should have - pointing finger to self) on how much we have accomplished to date.
  • The opportunity to challenge ourselves, and make a decision to work harder, better and much smarter, all for God's glory.

Proverbs 24: 3-4 reads "3Through skillful and godly Wisdom is a house (a life, a home, a family) built, and by understanding it is established [on a sound and good foundation], 4And by knowledge shall its chambers [of every area] be filled with all precious and pleasant riches."


So, have you worked and walked in tune to the plan you mapped out at the beginning of the year, in line with God's will? If so, I commend you. Well done. I encourage you to kindly share any tips that might help others.


Have you, like me, found out that you have progressed, but still, way off the mark? I commend you and say well done also. However, a review will help bring to light, the reasons for coming short; what went wrong and where the loopholes and stumbling blocks are; and with God's help, through his wisdom, implement steps to re-aligning and re-implement an improved plan to move forward with.


And finally, have you walked in the opposite direction of your plan, of the dreams God has laid within your heart? If so, DO NOT DESPAIR. The very fact that you created a plan, at the onset, is something to encourage and commend yourself for. Take that same plan and see if it fits into God's plan for you this year. If it does, ask God to show you where and how to start following the plan and sticking to it.

If you however, find that the plan you have is not in line with God's will for you, again, ask Him to help you put one together. A plan that reflects his will for you, and ask him to give you the strength wisdom and focus to see it through. He is a faithful God and He is waiting and willing to help. He will not rebuke you for asking help as we are encouraged in James 1:5, which reads "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking."


On that note, here is me wishing us all happy review sesssions (no matter how painful), continous progression throughout the year, in God's strength, wisdom, victory, grace and favour.

I encourage us all to keep doing that which God has set out for us to do this year, one step and day at a time; making Him famous along our way.


Much Love

Remi Banjo

***Pictures by photobucket***

13 Comments:

Giagerry said...

First?

Giagerry said...

Yayyyyyyy

Remi, United Kingdom said...

lol.. u are soooo first! lol...

JustDB said...

wow... can we print this off for future reference? thanks for sharing!

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@ JustDB... Yes, you can print out. Not a problem at all. Much love

Jae said...

word! I've got some reviewing to do, starting now!

Zoe Believer said...

Nne, I didn't even read all the words and here I am convicted. By His grace, I will strive to do better, I need to start eliminating some time wasters. I missed you and came to show some love. You are blessed.

olusimeon said...

nne..(lol)..thanks for this o..actually ehn..i need to make some changes

Jennifer A. said...

Fellow dreamers are very necessary.

I have come to understand that a daily review of my life is what really works for me...reminding myself of the projects I still have not accomplished, those that still need a lot of work, and those that have been set ablaze already.

Reading this blog right now is making me ask for the help of the Holy Spirit. We really cannot review our lives by ourselves...it is difficult to know what to trim and what to let live.

I love this post! Thanks Remi! :)

Kafo said...

hmmm
dreams and goals
let's just say they hurt too much right now

Olufunke said...

You are right!
I am reviewing my self, and at the end of the first quarter........
( no comment)
Thanks for sharing this.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Amin oh! Thanks so much for these powerful words.

Okey.Chukbyke C. said...

eeeeh nice to see you passed by that my ojota bus stop pic.
You are that God's economy (theory) proponent, I suppose?
Chukwubike Okey C