Tuesday 19 August 2008

NO LIMITATIONS...

I swam away from the wall
I swam away from the wall
I swam away from the wall!!!

What is she on about you must be thinking?
Well, about a week and a half ago, I decided to learn how to swim!
Ah! Yes, I decided to make my peace with the water!

Now, this was not an easy decision for me to make, because I am absolutely terrified of water, due to an almost disastrous childhood incident. So you can imagine my anxiety. And finally, after four lessons, I managed to edge away from the wall, bearing in mind that up until now, the picture has been - 'wearing a float around my mid-section, wearing swimming flippers, holding 2 floats out in front, and somehow managing to hang onto the swimming pool side wall, for dear life.' Yes, the utter shame of it all!!!



During the month of July, I attended a week long conference at my sanctuary, and one of the messages was about "living a life with no limitations". The speaker explained that most of us place some sort of restrictions, limitations on ourselves and within our hemisphere. These limitations can be in various forms and shapes and sizes, but tends to affect all aspects of our lives - spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally. It affects us at work or at play.

The message made me think about all areas of my life where I might have placed limitations knowingly or otherwise. Well needless to say, there were a few barriers firmly lodged in place that needs to be lifted pronto, and one of them being swimming.


So, I made a list of all my self imposed limitations, the actions I need to take to lift them and timeliness. Yes, we must pray about them too, but physically doing what we have prayed for, is also required to bring about deliverance and breakthrough. It's like the story of the lepers that Jesus healed. They did not get healed when he spoke to them, but they got healed when they were engaged in the activity of going to (walking - doing something) show themselves to the priests. Luke 17: 11 - 14 11 As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. 12 As he entered a village there, ten lepers stood at a distance, 13 crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” 14 He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.”[a] And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy.

At this point, I must ask; what barriers or limitations have you placed knowingly or unknowingly on yourself, in your life? Think about it, make a list, pray about it and write an action plan and go forth and conquer!

The dictionary explains Limitation as thus: "a restriction; a qualification; a restraining condition, defining circumstance, or qualifying conception; as, limitations of thought"

Further more, Restriction, or Restricting is defined as "the act of keeping something within specified bounds (by force if necessary); "the restriction of the infection to a focal area"


From the above definitions, it is safe to say that when we place limitations on ourselves, we are basically keeping ourselves confined or contained- our abilities, thinking, learning, growth and much more. This being the total opposite of what God wants for us and who God created us to be.

I truly believe God does not want us to live a limited life and embrace the "I can't do attitude or thinking" . This is very much evident, from the beginning of time. Lets go back to where it all began, Genesis.

Genesis 1:28 reads Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground.” Now if that is unlimited living, I don't know what else.

Here we see God commanding us to live freely. No where did he imply that "we should be fruitful or multiply to a point, or fill only the left or right side of the earth, or just reign over the fish, don't go near the animals on the land, that will be too much for you! Ah! No!

He gave this powerful and complete command in its fullness and it's entirely - no restrictions, no limitations; and after the fall of man, master Jesus Christ, came and reconciled us back to the father, so we still have that command working for us today.

So, yes, I swam away from the wall. I'm quite excited, it's a little step, but I'm trying to put the "no limitation" principle into practise, in all areas of my life. How about you, do you need to implement the 'no limitation' rule to certain areas in your life? Does a "can do" mindset" need to take hold, changing your vocabulary from "I can't" to "I can by God's grace"?

I believe a life of no limitations, means we are empowered to reach out, embrace and experience a rich and fulfilled life, according to God's will and purpose; making him even more attractive to those around us, and therefore drawing men unto him.

Have a great day of breaking free from all forms of limitations - spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally; whilst making the Almighty God famous along the way.


Much love
Remi Banjo
***pictures by photobucket***

9 Comments:

~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

I need to swim away from many walls in my life..including the literal one. good post.

Kafo said...

wow
i still haven't gotten in the water

so you are miles ahead of mii

congratulations

Anonymous said...

Hi Rems...
Courage indeed comes from awakening to realise your true potential by concquering your fears contained in your mental structures...am really proud of you, still trying to get the courage to learn how to swim myself!!!...This is the experience that I am saving to go thru with my daugther as she turns 2years in Jan next year, this will be my reward of being a mother...

lots of love lady
Gaopalelwe Mogapi

Anonymous said...

you do make me laugh remi... it wasnt that hard was it? you regain confidence and were at peace that's why you made it. i am proud of you!!! i knew you could make it....you will find it easier with the time...have dominion over the water.... i guarantee you it is great fun... Ingrid

Jennifer A. said...

I'm breaking away from my walls...

Nah, no limitations! I was blessed by this Rems! Thanks...:)

Anonymous said...

mehnnn....I am sooo envious...I cant swim!

but I love the serious word u yarned here in ur post...amholdin on to it mehn

Straight from the heart said...

Great news, you finally took the plunge..... welcome to the club, you'll soon realise what you've been missing all these years. Glad you broke free.

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

something about this post makes me almost want to bungee jump or go mountain climbing on kilamanjaro.
One of my favorite songs at the moment is by TY Bello about taking of the limits we have placed on ourselves.
This was inspirational, as always...

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@scotchbiscuits - Amen.. and swim away from them you can.. Thanks for visiting. Hope you had a good weekend. x

@Kafo - lol.. meen it was not easy oh.. but I thank God. I will keep you all posted on progress. Thanks.. hope you are goodxx

@Gaopalelwe - as I mentioned, thanks a million. Yes it's all about digging deep and embracing courage that we can. Yup I had to safe up too and I pray you would soon be able to experience this wonderful ability. It's really awesome. Hope you had a great weekend. xxx

@Ingrid - girl it's not easy oh. When I have kids I'm throwing them in water at 6 weeks! lol.. But thanks or all the enocuragement.. very much appreciated.. lots of luvxx

@Jaycee - Amen.. breakfree love, break free. Yes, no limitations for those in Christ Jesus... I'm glad you were blessed. Thank you Holy Spirit.

@Chari - awe thanks luv... yes hold onto it..God's word is awesome and revealing when we least expect it to be.. have an awesome week ahead. xx

@debbie - yes oh my dear, imagine that.. at my xxx years of age! lol. It's a good feeling. I'm looking forward to when I will just dive in and swim out the other end! lol.. Hope you have been good and well, despite it all. xxx

@nigeriandramaqueen - awe, I know that feeling. A feeling of wanting to break free, to break loose, to just be one with everythng and everyone God has created! awesome... Thanks .. have an awesome week ahead.
-----------------------------------
To everyone....
Thanks for all your comments. I welcome us all to the month of September. I pray the good Lord, blesses, enriches, and uplifts us in all areas of our lives. I pray our mindset this month will be
"BECAUSE GOD LOVES ME, I CAN DO ALL THINGS, AND CAN BE ALL HE HAS DESTINED ME TO BE". I pray that we make a concious decision and effort to put God first in all that we do - 'every second, minut, hour, day at a time'- and He will take us to higher and better heights. Have an awesome and fantastic month of September. Whatever you find yourself doing, do it well; not forgetting to make the Almighty God famous along the way. Much Love xxxx