Monday 13 April 2009

The Eyes Of Your Heart...


Peter, is a man who loves God. He loves God with all his heart, mind and soul. Every morning upon rising, Peter diligently reads his bible, makes notes and throughout the day tries to make a conscious effort to meditated that which he has read. He especially liked the book of Psalms and did his best to memorise at least a few verses from it. In all aspects of life, Peter experiences trials and tribulations of life just like you and I.

There came a time when Peter became unwell. He got sick and needed to be admitted into a hospital for several operations. His family and friends gathered around him daily and they fasted and prayed. They interceded for him, asking God to please take away the sickness and the pain. Despite all their prayers, Peter did not get any better, in fact, he got worse and began drifting in and out of consciousness. However, all through his ordeal, in his mind Peter was alive and well. He kept telling himself, "I need to get up and read my bible, I need to find those words and verses to pray for healing and encouragement".

Whenever he was conscious and strong for a short time, he struggled to physically pick up his Bible. When he did, he struggled to read it. As soon as he opened the pages, the words became a blur and because he was weak, his body got tired of trying to focus and he drifted either to sleep or un-consciousness. He tried this a few times and then he realised that no matter how hard he tried, it was just physically impossible.

Then during one of his conscious bouts, he thought, "my mind is still conscious and able" which means I can still speak to God, I can still pray. Ah! He was excited, and so with all the strength he could muster within his mind, he opened the eyes of his heart, the pathway to the richness that lies deep within its walls.

Heart now open, Peter starts to read with the eyes of his heart. He starts to read the words he had so diligently and patiently memorised over the years; words of healing, comfort, peace, deliverance and victory. As he reads, Peter started to speak to God. He whispered and presented God's words and promises to him, bringing them to His remembrance; all on the wings of a prayer.
========================================================
When trouble comes knocking at your door and you find yourself in situations such as Peter's or even worse, what is your first reaction, what do you do?

Do you rush to get your hands on the nearest bible you can find, flick through the pages (or index) and find passages relevant to your situation and start to read and declare the word? Or do you kneel down, or encourage your mind, spirit and soul to bring to remembrance the words of God hidden within the walls of your heart and start to pray them into your reality?

Psalm 119:11 reads "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."

From this verse, we see that when we keep God's words within our hearts, it helps us to know when we are about to or are sinning against God; for the truth of the word will be a witness.

It will be mighty difficult to guess if we are sinning or have sinned against God if we don't know what the Bible says about what is right or wrong. Imagine this with me: Remi wants to take a piece of candy that does not belong to her, this will be stealing. Before she does this, she wonders, "is this a sin"? She is not sure, so she picks up her bible, and rumages through the pages to find out what it says about taking candy that does not belong to her. :-).
Well that approach is will not be a practical way to live from day to day. However, if Remi has the words of God (along with the understanding of it) stored within her heart, she WILL know that taking candy that does not belong to her is a sin, so therefore, she will leave it. (I hope - for she has a choice!).
When we are deligent to keep Gods word within our hearts, we are able to live out the reality of Philippians 4:8, which reads "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."

We will know what is true, honorable, right, pure and lovely and admirable to think and meditate on, daily and constantly.

The act of storing the bible within our hearts, is not an easy task. It takes practice, diligence and perseverance. However here are a few tips that might help:

Using visual aids: example Index Cards:
  • Get a pack of Index cards such as used for presentation. Example below:

  • Find the Bible verse or verses you would like to memorise

  • Decide how many verses you would like to memorise a day, a few days or a week

  • Date the index card and write the Bible verses on it.

  • Every night, mid-day and night (or night and morning) read the bible verses

  • Every other night, write from memory as much as you can remember of that verse

  • Do that until you can write the verse as it should be, then move on to another verse


Using Technology Devices:

Technology is a beautiful thing, it has many usages and advantages. You can do the same as using an index card, with a few alterations such as:

  • Find the Bible verse or verses you would like to memorise

  • Decide how many verses you would like to memorise - a day, a few days or a week


  • Open a task or note reminder on your technology device and write and store the Bible verses to be memorised on it


  • Save the task or note reminder for each day or duration required


  • Every night, mid-day and night (or night and morning) read the bible verses (tip, you could programme reminders into your technology device)


  • Every other night, open a note book on your technology device and write from memory as much as you can remember of that verse.


  • Do that until you can write the verse as it should be, then move on to another verse


"1MY SON, forget not my law or teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments; For length of days and years of a life [worth living] and tranquility [inward and outward and continuing through old age till death], these shall they add to you."
Proverbs 3: 1-2


Here is me encouraging us all to be diligent in the reading and storing up the word of God within the walls of our hearts. Storing up its meaning, wisdom, understanding and power. There will surely come a time when we will need these words, but will not be able to physically pick up our Bibles to read them from. The next thing for us to do is open the eyes of our heart, and read from what we have stored therein, within its very walls.

However, the beauty and power of God's word is that, if it already resides within us, we can call upon and declare it any time, into any situation, giving us the victory and making God famous along the way.

Much Love
Remi Banjo
***pictures by photobucket***

22 Comments:

Hadassah said...

I love the picture and thankyou for the wonder ful words of encouragement.

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@Hadassah, thank you :-)) and you are very much welcome.. I thank God for the gift of words. Have an awesome week x

Emeka Amakeze said...

I'm grateful for these words but most especially for making me come to the realization of the existence of the eye of my heart.

Giagerry said...

hmmm remim this picture ehn...hmmmm!
good words o..the is really power in Gods word, if i can recall he talks about his word being LIFE.

I remember my pastor once told me that knowing the word of God in such situations is like going to the battlefield really equipped, so watever the devil throws at u, u always have a come back-Gods word!
hey remi!!

Jennifer A. said...

The story you wrote in the first part Remi, is one of the deepest stories I've ever read. Reading with the eyes of your heart... All those times he physically read the bible, he never even knew a time would come when he would be physically incapacitated.

We have to learn how to hide God's word inside our heart. I like your tips for memory aid...and I'd also like to suggest the use of 'biblegateway.com' for quick searches. It's been great so far...:)

Rita said...

Remi...You are my teacher

My spiritual growth has been mainly due to the use of study books, they encouraged me to search the bible myself, answer questions and memorize verses.

JustDB said...

WOW... Reminds me of my goal of memorizing some scriptures this year which sadly I've not started! Nice tips too

James said...

Great story!A reminder that we wont always have the bible at arms reach but can carry it in our hearts. Thank you.

Straight from the heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Straight from the heart said...

Well done Remi, Indeed our minds can hold such wealth of information, much more than we can imagine.

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@ Emeka Amakeze - we thank the Holy Spirit for his wonderful teachings. Yes the eyes of our heart will come to great use when we least expect we need it.

@Gee said - lol.. that picture, when I saw it, the words that were initially mumbled up started to make sense.. it's striking huh? Yes God's words are life, therefore it will bring life when we speak it to any situation. :-) x

@ Jaycee said - Imagine that, when I understood the story myself, I vowed to start taking memorising the scriptures more seriously. we will face trials and tribulations and I want to alwasy be prepared oh. Ah Biblegateway. I use that every single day. God bless those who put that tool together - it's priceless! :-)))) x

@ Rita said - hehehehe thanks.. Holy Spirit is our teacher.. he is the one that gives me the words, the wisdom and all - I am only but a vessel to pass on that which he teaches me. Yup, that's a great way to learn too. I do some of those too. It is our responsibility to verify that which we hear and read with the word of God and ask the right questions from God about them. Hope you're good luv x.

@JustDB said - lol... don't worry, we've all missed a task or two this first quarter of the year, but just pick it back up and set realistic goals - for example, one verse a week or something and then slowly you will grow. I am tempted to put a weekly verse on the blog to help readers actually. x

@Telekinesys - You are more than welcome luv.. so true, we won't always have it with us physically. What we have stored within is sometimes what will pull us through. x

@Debbie - thanks luv. So true, our minds are so complex and so capable, if we knew the half of what it could do, we would stop restricting it. How are u doing luv? Did you get my email?
x

olusimeon said...

God bless you for this...amen

Lady A said...

You truly have a gift. So true we need to embed God's words in our heart. I didn't use index cards, but I wrote it on reg. paper and recite them. I need to do it again.
I LOVEEEEEE THE PIC....sooooo deep, I might have to use it, lol.

theicequeen said...

really encouraging post! we really should have His word with us at all times, and not just when we open our bibles...them promptly forget what we've read..will put new effort into memorizing!

David C Brown said...

Thank you for this. When the psalm says, "To do thy good pleasure, my God, is my delight, and thy law is within my heart" I think it looks forward to the Lord Jesus. He had the way of God in His heart.

And, from a not very great age (I think!) do your learning as young as you can - a little older and it's not so easy!

Anonymous said...

thks Remi, 4 showing me with a very vivid example, just how 2 utilize d eyes of my heart...that story is very deep and inspiring...I also need 2 start memorising Bible verses daily...I keep starting and then leaving it off...thx again...

The Activist said...

Hi, stop by my blog to read what Jaycee said about you in her interview. Thanks

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@ simeone Amen, thank you my brother, hope you are having a great week. x

@ Lady A said - thanks luv, I thank God. cool, paper works too, the key is in keep it up, sometimes I use my mobile phone and set alarms at intervals. It's hard when u start, but gets easier with time.. yup u can use the pic oh. have a great week. x

@ theicequeen - thank you..:-) Keep practising, I'm sure it will get better by God's grace. We all have to do a bit more (pointing to self :-)) - Have an awesome week x

@David C Brown - Thank you - Through re the Psalm passage, yup I will do my best to learn as much as I can, I must say it was much easier when I was a lot younger.. lol.. thanks for the advice... Have an awesome week. x

@justdoyin - you are welcome luv. Yup keep at it, by God's grace it will stick. I pray God gives you the patience to persevere... x

@StandTall-The Activist- thanks Luv. That was an awesome interview... I love Jaycee tooooooo :-))
Much Love x

Zoe Believer said...

Thank you, needed this. His word should be in my heart. I am learning how to go beyond reading to memorizing and meditating. Thanks sis, God bless you

Dayo said...

Hi sis, just thought i'd stop by your page and bless you and i just had to read the blog and bwoy! was i blessed. You are blessed sis. Keep up the GREAT work. :)

Esther said...

This is a wonderful way to learn how others use the eyes of their heart. Many years ago I entered a program of scripture memorization. In my childhood days, I learned scripture through my teachers. Now I am almost 81. Sometimes my physical eyes are hard to keep open at night. When I settle down in bed and my husband is sleeping, there is a wonderful presence of the Lord. I simply open the eyes of my heart and call forth scriptures that comfort, plus have a wonderful conversation with the Lord. Before long, He has given me that blessed sleep.

Blessings to all who enter this site.

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@ Esther... wow.. thank you so much for visiting and commenting.. what you wrote brough tears to my eyes... The Lord is supremely good. I will do my best to keep memorising scriptures, so that when I am blessed with old age, I too can read with the eyes of my heart when I need to.

And for your prayer.. Amen.
God bless you loads... lots of love xx