Friday 16 October 2009

What is 'THAT'... in your 'HAND'?


"Then the Lord asked him,
“What is that in your hand?”
“A shepherd’s staff,” Moses replied".
Exodus 4:2


When God made it known to Moses that he had been chosen to deliver the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt, the first thing Moses did was protest - like most of us would! I can almost hear the conversation between Moses and God going like thus:


"WHAT? You want me to do WHAT? God, why now, why me? I mean look at me, I think you have the wrong person. All you need to do is look down the road and you will see that Mr A is the perfect candidate for this job. I mean, he has got all it takes. He is a great speaker, a great multi-tasker and an accomplished man in the society. As for me, I don't have the skills, I can't even speak properly and you want me to go and talk to the king of Egypt! Besides, I am not an important person in society, so even if I do go to the king of Egypt, he would never listen to me, or believe that you have sent me".

In response to Moses protests, God asked him the question::
"What is that in your hand"?


When I look at the state of the world's economy, I envisage this is the question God is asking most of us at this point in time. At the back of the dreams, visions, inspirations and much more He has given us, He is asking us the question "what is that in your hand"? The sad thing is, I bet most of us, are responding back in protest with answers such as "I don't have anything in my hand, to I don't have the right tools in my hands."


However, this type of thinking is far from the truth. You see, our hands are the seeds that is called "talents, skills, gifts and abilities. Romans 12: 6 states that "In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well". We all have talents and abilities that God has given us, and we are required as children of God to work on developing them and then use them to further God's kingdom.


"what are we doing with that which is in our hand?"


When most individuals think of gifts that can be used to further God's kingdom, the thoughts more often than not, surround spiritual gifts such as prayers, singing or working in the 'corporate church' in some shape or form. This is good, however, our everyday ordinary skills are also our gifts and abilities.


For example, some people are extremely talented in DIY, some are talented in cooking, some talented in establishing friendships, some have an extremely good eye for detail and much more. We must take these simply everyday abilities and submit them to God, for Him to use. Like Moses, we must lay them down and watch them come alive. When they come alive, they will have the power to help those around us, and eventually we will see God move in our lives like Moses did in his.


If God had a conversation with you today and asked the question:
"What is in your hand and what are you doing with it"?
What will your answer be?


Will it be "A Shepherd's staff" or will you say, a skill, ability and gift at your disposal Lord, for the advancement of your kingdom?

I encourage you all to submit your gifts, talents, skills and abilities to God. Lay them down at the master's feet, watch them come alive, thrive and show someone the way to eternal life!

I beseech you to actively work on and develop them into a powerful tools. Use them to display the true nature of God, thus, helping the advancement of His kingdom; whilst making Him famous along your way.


Much Love
Remi

***pictures by photobucket***

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

another spot on message....

Misstarii said...

My devotion for today

Myne said...

Real food for thought. Thanks for sharing.
Nice blog too.

The poets voice ~~~ said...

On point!! I love this message. I think a lot of the time, we think we can't do it 'cos we see ourselves through our own eyes rather than the eyes of God!

what struck me was where you said: (paraphrase) 'lay down your gifts at the masters feet so they can come alive and impact other people'...

Our gifts are there..they are present and real..but they are easily overlooked because we fail to activate it at the throne. This is an eye-opener..

God bless u for this post,
have a nice weekend!xx

Anonymous said...

ezi oku! translated ... truth!

kings kid

David C Brown said...

It's very important, as you say, to use what the Lord has given us. But we have to remember that natural abilities have their limits; God uses spiritual gifts for His kingdom.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

hmmm, thanks for sharing this.


NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...