Sunday 7 February 2010

The Obedience Key

If you are willing and obedient,
you shall eat the good of the land
Isaiah 1:19

It is the second month of the year and I know most will have been confessing the goodness that God will do for them this year. Most will be confessing that God will do exceedingly, abundantly, above and beyond that which we could ever ask or think (Ephesians 3:20) And yes He can and He will.

However, when I look at the opening verse of this post, Isaiah 1:19, it is evident to me that there will be some blessings that I will not receive, unless I am willing and obedient to do God's will.
  • Willing is to: have desire or the power of choosing one's own actions

  • Obedience is defined as: the quality or condition of being obedient

  • Obedient is defined as: dutifully complying with the commands, orders, or instructions of one in authority


From the definitions above, it shows that willingness is a decision we must. We much chose to be or not willing to God's commandments. It also shows that it is not enough to be obedient, but the quality of that obedience is important. For example, if God tells me "Remi, go and walk the dog now at 1:00 this afternoon, and then walk him with his blue collar" I hear this loud and clear and then I "go and walk the dog at 6:00 in the evening and then walk him with a green collar". This is disobedience. It means I have not followed the instructions as I have been given them. Firstly, I did what I was told to do, but at the wrong time (delayed obedience is disobedience) and then I did what I was told, but not How I was told to do it. (The quality of my obedience was not as it should be).


When God tells us to do something, He is very specific with His instructions. We might not get the fully understand, but doing the little He asks of us, unlocks understanding, insight and wisdom.
A great man in the bible, who amplifies the intricacies of obedience is Noah. He was a man who did exactly what God asked of him, even when it did not make sense. When we read Genesis 6, we see the specific instructions God gave to Noah about building an Arc. To confirm the nature of Noah's obedience, the bible says in Genesis 6:22 that "Noah did everything God commanded him to do". To do EVERYTHING, means Noah did not leave anything out. He did the tasks at hand, in the exact time, with the exact materials and tools, as God commanded...even though it did not make sense. Remember as of that time, man had not seen rain!
Can God say that we have done everything He has commanded us to do? Selah


Noah's obedience to God led him to experience God's blessing and reward (his life and that of his family was spared from the flood). The disobedience of his contemporaries led to their destruction.

Noah's obedience was the cornerstone of his faith in God. His building of the ark did not bring him any closer to God, however his obedience and faith in God did. The same should applies to us. We obey because we believe and have faith in God,. that He knows what He is doing.
In 2010, I know we believe that God will do tremendous things in our lives, but our willingness and obedience to His word is fervently required. I always say to myself "Remi if you are not obedient in the little things, when the blessings come, will you be obedient in that greater capacity? " Selah

A few ways to become a more obedient child of God is by:

  • knowing that all obedience begins with our faith in the sovereign God. If we don't believe in God's sovereignty, it will be difficult to obey Him. The reason why Abraham is called the father of faith is because he believed and had confidence in God, that He would do what He says He would do. This moved Him to be obedient to whatever God told him to do.


  • Growing the obedience we currently have by waiting on God's timing. God is very time conscious, but not as we count time. He is conscious of time in regard to our acting in obedience according to His schedule; He moves in the fullness of time as declared in Galatians 4:4-5 Delayed obedience is disobedience.

  • Not subjecting God's plan to man's "common sense". Like Noah, some things God will tell us to do this year, will seem and look down right difficult. However, obey we must, for we must have confidence that He knows what He is doing as He declares in Jeremiah 29:11 "...I know what I am doing..."

  • Being prompt in Obedience. This is what I like to call 'instant obedience'. If we are willing, that is having made the choice to obey God, then we cannot be hesitant or dwell in the land of procrastination. Many time (pointing finger at self), we fail to obey God because we dwell on what He tells us to do for so long, turning it all upside down, in fear of the consequences. When we eventually move to do what He says, the timing is all wrong and the vision or instructions sometimes has become unclear or faded.

In this year 2010, God IS going to manifest the reality of Ephesians 3:20 in our lives - you must believe, for it is an absolute promise from Him. However, we must increase our sensitivity to His will, we must affirm our choice and desire to be willing and obedient to His instructions. Through willingness, we show our love for Him and through obedience, we gain further understanding and insight to His will for our lives.

When we Obey God, we will indeed eat (have, be established and revel in) the best of this land. To disobey God means that we live under the course of the enemy. The choice is ours to make.

As you make your way through this year, I encourage you to wear the very essence of obedience like skin. I encourage you to be obedient to God's will for your life and watch Him manifest all your heart's desires this year; giving Him the glory and making Him famous along your way.


Much Love , Remi
***pictures by photobucket***

8 Comments:

Jennifer A. said...

Do you realize how much I love this post?

I completely dread disobeying God, not because I don't want to obey...but because it can be easy not to follow His instructions to the T!!! I want God to teach me to be learned in following His strict directions (and first of all that I know the direction of His voice), esp in this year that I have a hunch is going to be great.

I picked up on this line:

Not subjecting God's plan to man's "common sense"...

Rita said...

If I say I did not miss your posts, then I have lied. Ok, let me go and read first...

Rita said...

delayed obedience is disobedience...I love these words, I actually needed to share this with someone...

jhazmyn said...

Just like Jaycee said...."first of all that i know the direction of His voice"

Sometimes i get so harried, i have to make a conscious effort to step on the brakes and ask God "is this the right thing or am i getting ahead of myself again" .....

i pray to be led by Him every step of every way this year, and no matter how absurd it might seem, to obey every single word He speaks

Kafo said...

hmmmm
i don't know
mii and obedience
i'm a rebel
i hate following rules just becuz they exist
that being said when it comes to my relationship with Christ, i do just becuz i want to have a closer relationship with him

now if i can just apply that to the human relationships with the 'elders' in my life


hmmm

Myne said...

I struggle with this sometimes but I have to accept His word. Obedience is better than sacrifice.

Dee! said...

Thank you for this well researched and inspiring post.

"Obedient is dutifully complying with the commands, orders, or instructions of one in authority."
There is no room to complain, just obey God, do His will and we shall "eat the good of our land".

Indeed, obedience is better than sacrifice!

Stay blessed!

Remi, United Kingdom said...

@Jaycee... yeah I know that feeling. That terrifies me no end.. my trail of thoughts usually come like - "is that youth God?, okay it is you, so you said to do..." then I run off and then mid-way I am like "eeer Papa, you know that thing you told me to do,eeerm how, what and where EXACTLY did you say I should do again?" lol. I really pray God stills us enough hear Him and listen to the right instructions and enable our limbs to move instantly, in the direction of His will.

@Rita... thanks luv, how are you doing girl... took a break.. now back with fire oh..

@jhazmyn, true that I pray that God leads us every step of the way, because it is so easy for us to miss it.

@ Kafo… hmmm .. lol I like the way you put this “now if i can just apply that to the human relationships with the 'elders' in my life”… girl, a whole lot of us struggle with that at times.. but we thank God for His grace! How are you doing?

@Myne whiteman – true, so true. Half the time, we go full circle just to learn this true lesson *shagging head and pointing to self*

@ Dee – hey dearie, how are you. Yes, no room to complain, grumble or sometimes even ask…”but.. why” I’m learning everyday to just do… very easy, but quite hard… the flesh, the flesh does not want to obey half the time! You too luv have a wonderful week