- To teach means: to impart knowledge or skill
- Guidance means: to give advice or counseling
From the moment we arise from sleep we are presented with opportunities to make choices; from "should I get out out of bed, or sleep a bit more" to "should I approach the day with a positive attitude or a negative one".
Life is full of choices. If we want to make the right choice that will please God, we have to ask for His help. The only way we will know if our choices is in line with God's will and therefore pleasing to Him is to seek His guidance and the counsel of the Holy Spirit.
We can find and embrace God's help and guidance in all our choices through the following ways:
- Cleansing our hearts: firstly we must make sure that we are right with God. We should ask ourselves "is there anything in my life that is or will hinder me from hearing you Lord"? We must remember that sin cuts us away from God as confirmed in Isaiah 59:2, which reads "It’s your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore"
- Surrender to God: We must yield ourselves to God's will in confidence that He knows what is best for us. We can do this by not following the customs and behaviour of this world as encouraged in Romans 12:2, which reads "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect".
- Ask from God: It is amazing that sometimes, we can talk about all our problems and the burden of choices we have to make, but forget to ask God for guidance on what to do. However, we must remember that God promises that when we ask Him anything, according to His will, He hears us and because He has heard, He has answered as declared in 1John 5: 14 - 15, which reads "14 And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. 15 And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for."
- Meditate on the Word: The Psalmist knew the importance on meditating on God's word. We see this in Psalm 119: 15-16. He reasoned that if he continously thinks about God's words, their meanings and their importance, it deter him from sinning against God (verse 11), hand the result of pondering on God's word will bring clarity and be a light to his journey through life - choices and all.
- Waiting on God: This word and position seems to be the most difficult for us all. We have prayed and spoken to God about all our problems, but there seems to be no answer forthcoming - well none that we can see yet. A show of hands from those who know what I am talking about!!!. To wait on God is a choice we have to make, even when in the most difficult of situations or cross roads. However, before we run off and try to do all things in our own strength and wisdom, we must remember that God has promised to act on our behalf when we wait on Him as confirmed in Isaiah 64:4, It reads "For since the world began, no ear has heard, and no eye has seen a God like you, who works for those who wait for him!" I encourage you to wait on God for the answer you are seeking.
- Receive from God: It is one thing to ask for advice and it is another thing to be open and ready to accept the advice given; no matter how difficult the answer. If you are like me, sometimes I have to remind myself that 'NO' is also an answer!. To receive God's wisdom we must tune our ears to it as advised in Proverbs 2:2, which reads " Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding". When we do, God will give us guidance in all things, knowing right from wrong as confirmed in Proverbs 2:9 which reads "Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go"
When God guides you, the choices that you make might not make sense to those around you, however, what matters is that you have heard from the one who really matters the most - God.
So, as you make a start to a new day, a new week and indeed a new month, I encourage you to seek God's counsel, guidance and help in everything you do. From the rising of the sun till the going down of the same, meditate on God's word and ask for His counsel.
I encourage you to seek God's guidance to inform your choices and actions; making Him famous along your way.
Much Love, Remi