Thursday 28 February 2008

A Table Prepared

Various Bible versions of Psalm 23:5 reads:

New Kings James Version:
"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over"


King James Version:
"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over"

Message Bible Version:
"You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing."

New Living Translation:
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings."

Amplified Version:
"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my [brimming] cup runs over."


New International Version:
"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil;my cup overflows."


Imagine the scene
You live in a town that has a king who resides in a palace. Every day, somehow, you find yourself within the grounds of the palace, surrounded on all sides by the king's numerous subjects. Somehow, you always are in the centre of this crowd, and every time, they seem to be they are pointing, shouting and screaming things such as; let's make his/ her life full of misery, lets make sure he/she does not get promotion at work, lets make sure he/she does not married, lets make her daily reality a miserable one. All these and more coming from the people surrounding you in the room; you can feel the hatred in the room. You can experience the misery they are talking about, you feel stifled at work, you feel lonely and miserable, you feel lost and confused.

Whilst all the shouting is going on, the king of the town calmly walks into the room. At his presence, silence fills the room, for they are amazed by his presence, and his entourage. He has some helpers with him and they seem to be carrying items wrapped up as gifts. They are walking towards you, in the center of the room. The king and his servants stop right in front of you, (by now the crowd has moved a few feet a way to give him room) and without saying a word, the servants come forth and set up the most beautiful table and chair before you.

On the table they place the best served meal you have ever seen, it's a 5 course meal that contains every food you ever wanted to eat, all served on the finest china, not one you would buy for a fiver! And then, the king calls upon each servant and one at a time, and on the same table, they place in front of you, precious gifts, of silver and gold, and much more. And then one of his servants gives him a scroll. He opens it up and reads – "on this day my child I freely give you the gift of wisdom, of understanding, of insight, of strength and much might. On this very day, I give you the best house in town, the finest car to drive around, the finest contracts for you to manage, the best job that will earn you a crown. All this, the king does in the very presence of the people standing around the room, in the very presence of the misery you feeling, and in response the crowd bows their heads in shame, they shake their heads in wonder and slither away in despair. The misery and experience you were once feeling is distanced from you, and all you do is visualise it from afar!

Now that's the beauty of the mind, the beauty of imagination. This is what I envisage (oh and much more) when I read Psalm 23:5. This is my feeble attempt to visualise what it means or what I think God is doing for me and with me every time I read and claim this verse.
When I am going through trials and tribulations, and I read the verse, I imagine the scene and I am encouraged to move on, to proceed, to overcome, to conquer.

Every second, minute, hour, day, week, month and year, God presents a table before us, in the presence of our enemies. He lifts us up! He makes them ashamed, and in turn, He lifts His children up. He is always present, covering, helping and giving.

Whatever it is that you are going through, stop for a minute; let your imagination take hold. Set the scene in your mind, visualise what Psalm 23:5 means to you, what it means God is doing to, for and through you at this particular time. Wrap yourself in hope that will surely come from the reality of this verse. By setting a table before us in the very presence of our enemies, God is encouraging us to be have the audacity to be bold. To be embrace the humble boldness and show that situation that we are indeed the child of the most High God; who is able to deliver and rise you up about all things.


Have a great day walking in humble boldness, whilst making the most High God famous along the way.

Much Love

Remi Banjo

**Pictures by Photobucket**

0 Comments: